DJI Mavic Mini drone UK
The law in the UK states that you need to register your drone if it weighs over 250g from 30th November 2019, although you can register your drone from 5th November 2019.
If you're a casual drone flyer then and that sounds like too much hassle, then maybe you could be interested in a Mavic Mini. This is an excellent drone but comes in at 249g, so doesn't have to be registered with the Civil Aviation Authority, under the current rules.
Can you believe that DJI undercut the law by just 1 gram!?
The starting price of the drone is £369, which seems a pretty affordable price for a drone of this caliber.
It isn't without compromise:
- No 4K video, but 2.7K isn't bad!
- No object tracking (As far as I can see)
- Wind may be an issue with the small size (14km/hour drone speed, so probably max of round 10km/hour wind speed I would guess)
BUT look at some of these plus points!
- Nearly as small as your phone for transporting around (It folds up like it's big brother, the Mavic and Mavic 2).
- 3 axis gimbal (Moves left, right, Up, down plus tilts!) - This is better than the DJI Spark which only has a 2 axis gimbal... although this now seems to have stopped being sold on the DJI site.
- Price - £369 --- Mavic Air is £769 (This has to come down!)
- The stated range is 4k transition, which is incredible for WiFi. This is also massive overkill for the UK seen as you have to keep visual line of sight to the drone, which is generally stated as 500m.
- 30 minutes flight time on one battery!
- GPS, so should be as easy to fly as the other DJI drones
UK Rules and regulations for DJI Mavic Mini
My initial thought is that this is classed as a toy and therefore maybe I could fly this literally "Anywhere".
Fortunately, this isn't the case.
You do get around the drone registration and training rules but you still need to follow the Drone Code and fly safely and keep your distance from people, vehicles and structures.
Shall I get one for Christmas?
Given that I already have a DJI Mavic Zoom, then I don't see any benefit to also having the Mavic Mini (Unless DJI want to give me one to review 🙂 ).
If you do want one, then please use the affiliate links, it helps to pay towards running this website.